form

The Most Revised Edward Lynch Cotton, Metropolitan of India, was a man who strongly believed in the efficiency of education. In the first synod of Bishops in 1863 in Bombay, a letter was issued to the members of Church of England emphasising the importance of education, especially for the large number of Europeans and the mixed descent who had no means of education. Bishop Cotton thereafter launched a scheme for the establishment of school in the hills and plains. Bishop Cotton opened the first school in Shimla in 1863. The Anglo Indian community had grown subsequently over the years in Nagpur because of the coming of railways. However apart from 1840 school and St Ursula School there were no other mission schools. Richard Temple convened a meeting at his house to discuss the matter in detail. A loan of Rs. 5,000 from the local administration helped to defray initial expenses and the government of India was requested to contribute Rs. 1,500 towards bringing out a master and mistress from England. On 24 December 1862 the school was established and conducted in the old disused church. Bishop Cotton visited Nagpur in 1863 and inaugurated the school after him as “Bishop Cotton School”. From the very beginning the school was closely linked with the English Church. The Chaplain of All Saints Church was the honorary secretary. Robin Newman reports in the Nagpur diocesan newsletter. “The Bishop of Nagpur is ex-officio Sole Trustee of the school property and Chairman of the Committee of Management.”